Friday, January 14, 2011

Yoga Instead

Last semester, I made a personal commitment to attend a yoga class once a week. I could do this for free at Colby, but the classes are during the lunch hour and I rarely can wrap the morning up in time to change clothes and get down to the gym in time. Plus I hate the thought of having to rush back to work after a calming class.

I've been taking classes at a local yoga studio where they offer a Level 1 class on Thursdays at 5:30. I can head there right after work without going home and changing my mind (especially at this time of year when it is dark and cold), and it has become the signal for me that the weekend is near. The Level 1 class is calm and relaxing -- not a power yoga or hot yoga or flow yoga. Just right for me.

I missed several weeks over the holiday for a number of reasons (particularly because I was quite sick for 1 1/2 weeks). Even though I wanted to renew this commitment, I admit I was reluctant to go back. Inertia does have its own appeal, I guess. After all, I've got things to do at home: knitting, quilt binding, eating, sleeping...

Happily, I did go. Class was lovely and I felt very content with myself afterward. But, I didn't do much of anything else last night. I knit about 3 rows on the leftover hat, just so I could keep saying I knit every day, but little else. So, I have no pictures. But, I did take a moment to measure the hat this morning and have found that I've gotten to the point of starting the decreases. The knitting will go like lightning from here on out -- I bet I'll finish it tonight!

Oh, and the other highlight of yesterday was snowshoeing at lunch time -- it was cold and windy, but we walked into the Arboretum on the edge of campus and it was gorgeous!

No comments: