Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Person to Knit For

One of my sons brought his very brave girlfriend to meet "the family" over the weekend (and, as you know, this was the whole family, minus only one grandchild - Nate's brother). Even his parents had barely met her. I'm happy to report that she settled right in and was a delight to have around. So, of course, I must knit something for her! Nate reports she has a lot of mittens, and we agreed that maybe a scarf would be a good item to knit. I spent my lunch hour on Monday searching through Ravelry and other resources for knitting patterns and found a number of possibilities. But, I landed on the Saroyan scarf -- a tapered scarf with a lacy edging made up of leaves. I found a lovely red heather in Berroco Ultra Alpaca and am off and running. Here are photos from last night's beginning:
Here are the skeins I picked up at lunchtime at my LYS: The Yardgoods store. I was tempted by some other possibilities, but this really is a pretty heather in the color family that was reported to be the recipient's favorite.

My swift -- one of my favorite tools. It is a lovely wooden piece and resides in a box in my dining room. It was a great investment and I use it often.
And, the ball winder that goes with it. I originally bought this piece for my mother while I was living in Montana nearly 30 years ago. I'm pretty sure I got it at a small yarn shop in Missoula.
And, here it is, four repeats into the tapered end. The leaves are hard to see -- the light is terrible (we've got a gray start to the day at the tail end of a snow storm) and they are all scrunched up at this point. It will be beautiful when it is blocked. There are 2 more increase repeats, 10 non-increase repeats, and then 6 more decrease repeats for the whole scarf with a new leaf created in each repeat. I think it is going to be a quick project. I didn't start any of what I've shared with you until after 7:00 last night as we were adventurous in the storm and took our neighbors out to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. It was snowing hard, but just snow (not freezing rain or sleet) and we had discount coupons that expired yesterday. Kath and John are in their late 80's, though you'd guess they were in their very early 70's if you met them. Despite a few health issues, they are in incredibly good shape and fun to talk to. I can only hope someone will say the same about me when I'm in my 80's! Just one more reason to keep knitting -- keeping my brain and hands healthy.

No comments: