Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jan Plan Ends With a Bang

Colby's January term, called Jan Plan, officially ends today. Essentially, we all cram a semester's worth of learning and events into four weeks, with just a brief pause before launching the spring semester. This year, I worked with the college physician and a physician from one of the local hospitals to create a Jan Plan course that connected 14 students with 16 physicians for 80-hour observational shadowing experiences in local clinics and hospitals -- everything from ER to psychiatry to family medicine (and lots more). Students also had to work on a project that would be helpful to the physician. Last night, the students had a chance to present what their project involved with 3-minute "sharings" at a Dessert Reception that included many of the physicians along with some others from Colby. Overall, the program was a great success, and one that we now hope to offer every January. I slept really well last night.

Yesterday's other success was getting to my 5% goal at Weight Watchers. 5% more to go and I'll meet my goal. I've recently been particularly grateful for the weight I've lost -- it made room for the long underwear I've been wearing all week to work! And, I really do feel healthier. It does feel like a slow process, though -- my leader joshes me about how I tend to lose only about .2 or .4 pounds each week, but as long as I keep going in the right direction, I'm happy.

The only knitting I got done yesterday was one leaf repeat on the Saroyan scarf while at my lunch meeting -- but I did knit!

No comments: