Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Color Fun

Yesterday was COLD. So cold that one of our cars wouldn't start in the morning, causing a quick regrouping and ferrying of DH to work (he goes earlier than I do). It still wouldn't start in the evening, even though it had "warmed up" so we tried to jumpstart it with no response. I was beginning to despair when I remembered that we have a AAA membership! I placed the call, had a very nice conversation with the representative who first checked to see if we were OK, and then Kenny from Arbo's showed up about an hour later. We bundled up, anticipating having to follow it to the dealer's (where, luckily, I had called to inquire about replacing a headlight and had made plans to bring it in today anyway), but Kenny very nicely offered to put the key in the drop for us so we could stay home and warm. It was a much easier process than we anticipated. Our trusty 13-year old Toyota Sienna is still running, though. But it is due to go in for some work tomorrow, so we're juggling vehicles this week.

I managed to get some knitting time after dinner and got through the second color stripe on the Fiddlehead Mittens. I don't want to wait and knit on these over the weekend as I'm a bit afraid my gauge won't match and I'll end up with different sized mittens. Hopefully I can finish the thumb gusset and next color stripe tonight.

I'm already imagining other color combinations and feel a mitten-jag coming on. My next pair will be similar to these, except I'll use the dark purple as a stripe color and yellow as the contrast color for the swirls. Then, I want to make a pair with various blue stripes and yellow swirls -- college colors for one son. And, the other son's favorite colors -- black, green, red, and yellow -- would make another interesting pair. Purples with white swirls would be great to have to wear to hockey games the next time the high school is in the playoffs (those are the only high school hockey games I go to). Who knows if I'll ever get them all made, but I love to dream!

1 comment:

margmor said...

WOOO I love those mittens!! Will you really make me some? I feel better already. My only color request is some navy blue in there somewhere, outside of that I will love all color combos! Thanks Cate!!