Monday, January 24, 2011

Miles of Knitting

I had a wonderful knitting weekend! I spent the morning puttering around at home, reducing the piles of stuff in various places (though I still didn't venture into the piles on my desk -- I'll have to do that before paying bills at the end of this week, I'm afraid, and need to sort things out to start getting ready to do the taxes). It was sunny and bright, but only got to a high of 32 degrees, so it was lovely to simply stay home.

In the afternoon, I ventured out. I first headed to the grocery store, but the shopping center parking lot was absolutely jammed with cars (think, Christmas Eve shopping day) and I simply turned around and headed downtown... to the yarn store. I bought some Brown Sheep Nature Spun sport weight in 6 bright colors so I could make Fiddlehead Mittens:
As you can see, once I got started, I couldn't stop! I finished all but the thumb of the first mitten before going to bed on Saturday. Then, I got up early on Sunday and got a little bit of the second mitten going before our early church service (it was Annual Meeting Sunday, so choir members had to be there by 8:15).

After church I went to visit my parents, who live just under an hour away. It was again a lovely, sunny, cold day, so it was nice to be out and about. I was home by 5:00, in time to watch some Sunday evening television with my husband. Currently we're in season 3 of the sci-fi comedy "Eureka" and I knew he was going to want us to watch multiple episodes, so I pulled out knitting more conducive to watching TV -- the Debbie Bliss sweater sleeves. I made excellent progress on those:
And, a picture doesn't do it justice, but I also finished off my first skein of yarn for the Saroyan scarf. I've only got 8 more repeats to finish it and can't wait to block it to see if the leaves pop the way I hope they will.

To top off a great fiber weekend, I also finished the binding on the star quilt! All that is left is to make and put a label on it and to give it a first light wash and dry. Mom's quilt top is done, and I need to call my machine quilter this week to get it over to her.

So, it was a lovely weekend -- just the right combination of accomplishment and rest.

No comments: