Saturday, January 1, 2011

Holiday Knitting

Starting the year off, let me review my holiday knitting.

I finished a Cobblestone Sweater for Nate in brown -- the same sweater that Zeben and I made a year ago. I actually finished it in time to give him for Christmas!

I also made a hat and 5 pairs of mittens for the mitten tree at church, using up all of the Galway wool I purchased last January.

In November I ordered a Knit Picks holiday kit and have been making knitting candy every since. The pattern includes several versions of a miniature (ornament-sized) sweater and 8 colors of their Palette yarn. I've started to revise the pattern and develop my own color-work (the yellow, brown, pink, striped, and red/white one in progress are all my own variations) and adapt the pattern in other ways. The blue, red, orange, and green sweaters are from the Knit Picks pattern without adaptations. Not all of the colors are my favorites, but I'm still having a ball combining them in all kinds of ways and here are the results:



I started knitting these at Thanksgiving and doubt I'll stop until all of the yarn is gone! I've given away all but one of the completed sweaters and the one in-progress and promised to keep these two for our own tree.

I am working my way through the Cable Vent Sweater by Debbie Bliss:

The first photo is closer to the right color: Classic Elite Classic One-Fifty, which I'm loving but have been disappointed to find out has been discontinued. This is the back. I've got one front completely done and am nearly done the second front. Just two sleeves to go and I plan to work on those in tandem so they'll be done at about the same time. I actually wore an indentation in one of the Knit Picks Harmony Wood needles I'm using, so had to order another pair and now have three good ones in this size, so have a plan for going back and forth using separate cables.

And, started while celebrating New Year's Eve with friends (no kids, for the first time ever - so we were home by 10:30 - yay!), is a hat for Zeben with mittens to match to follow:
Cascade Eco Duo, a baby alpaca and merino wool blend in all natural/undyed colors that is unbelievably soft -- a delight to touch and knit with. The striping is due to using alternating rows of two different color skeins. This reminds me of the cashmere yarn Don gave me for Christmas last year -- I loved knitting with it so much that I wished I didn't have to finish the project. My LYS has LOTS of this yarn and are having their annual yarn sale, so I'm sure there is more of this in my future (and it is way less expensive than cashmere).

I've got a few other projects going: 3 sock projects, and a Jojoland hexagon scarf, and will share those with you in another post.

Happy New Year!

No comments: