Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mitten Mania

Looking at the mittens I'm working on, you might think I did nothing but knit this weekend. In addition to knitting, we did a lot of cleaning yesterday, did the grocery shopping, and spent a magical couple of hours at Colby watching a Sondheim musical review production. It was just a productive day.


I worked on the lining of the colorful mittens and got through the thumb gusset while waiting for the musical to start and during the intermission. I finished the first on Friday and then on Saturday afternoon cast on the second blue and gray mitten and got 2/3 of the way through the thumb gusset before going to bed last night -- it just zoomed along as I listened to Prairie Home Companion and part of Thistle and Shamrock. I got up this morning for some quiet time before breakfast and finished the thumb gusset and made more progress up the hand. I'm hoping to finish the outer mitten today, though I have to take time out from knitting to be productive in other ways and to attend a pot luck dinner celebrating a friend's completion of her PhD (DH is hoping that there will be a TV with the Superbowl on as a bonus).

The last tax document I needed to have in hand arrived yesterday, so this afternoon's task is to at least organize all the information I need to do the taxes -- I have a standard list I fill in with all of the numbers I'll need when I actually sit down to do the darn things. For the last time this year, my tax duties include my sons' federal and Maine forms and one for Pennsylvania. I imagine I'll be consulting on those next year, but since I won't need them for financial aid forms, I'm going to be sending all of it their way to do for themselves (unless I find myself feeling incredibly generous next winter).

I also swatched for the wedding stole -- I want to be able to show the bride the yarn knit into a bit of pattern with the beads so she can veto any part of it before I put all the time into it. If I do say so myself, we found some lovely beads that blend in but will give just a bit of sparkle to the central panel of the stole. I also learned that I need some pointier dps or I'll go nuts on the center panel. My regular bamboo needles are too blunt for the fussiness of the small center. A pair of Crystal Palace bamboo needles should do the trick and are available at my LYS.

I would guess that the sunny start to the day also had something to do with how positive it felt. It clouded up and started snowing just after dark. DH is up and out with the snowblower as I write. The oddest part of this storm, aside from the back and forth between snow and sleet, was the thunder and lightening in the middle of the night. The first lightning and crack of thunder woke us both from a sound sleep. It didn't thunder a lot, but a few hours later I did hear some more. Summer thunder storms roar through and leave, but this one seemed to stay for a long time. Very strange.

Best of all, sunny again today -- and already 32 degrees at 6 a.m.! This week begins a more grueling schedule at work -- at least two evenings of events I have to attend or present in addition to the regular week's office schedule. It will be nice going into the week feeling less like things are sliding at home -- if I can just get started on the taxes and clean the bathroom, I'll be a happy camper.

No comments: