Friday, February 4, 2011

Back in the Swing

Yesterday felt more like the beginning of the semester without the storm hanging over our heads. The pace at work has racheted up a few notches (and we thought we were busy during Jan Plan!) and I felt like I was back on pace -- not caught up, mind you, but getting things done.

After yoga last night I combined my financial task with knitting. I missed one of my favorite NPR programs, Marketplace Money, on Sunday afternoon so downloaded it last night and listened while I did 10 more rows on the latest pair of mittens. I got past the thumb gusset, so the rest of the mitten will go very quickly now. Then on to its mate and the linings. As I look into my knitting corner right now, Pandora is cozied up to the mittens and balls of yarn on my footstool.

On the colorful mittens, I'm about to do the mitten gusset on the second version of the first lining :)

I can highly recommend Marketplace Money as a wonderful, easy, interesting way to learn about money management. My favorite part is when, each week, they talk to real people seeking financial advice. I learn so much from this show! This week they shared a strategy for paying off credit card debt. I'm fortunate not to have any, but we are definitely trying much harder not to use the card at all this month. They also talked about the difference between a broker and a financial advisor -- a topic I heard about in my retirement seminar the other day. And, it is on my to-do list this month to find someone for us to work with, once I get my files straightened out so that I'd be able to find the documents I'm sure an advisor would want to review. Just getting organized to do our taxes will get the files organized enough to move forward, I think.

No comments: