Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Gratification

In my line of work, I am often dosing students with advice and encouragement without any hope of knowing whether they take that advice. Sometimes, however, I get feedback that something I suggested worked or helped the student move forward. Most of the time that is delayed gratification, but yesterday I got some (nearly) immediate gratification. A student I was advising in the morning reluctantly took my advice and happened to see me in the evening at an event I was hosting - and let me know that she HAD taken my advice and, much to her surprise and relief, IT WORKED! And that is why I do what I do. That student will, I hope and believe, have more confidence in herself as a result of her actions yesterday, which will serve her well as she approaches her goal of becoming a physician.

So, a late night at work was worth it, even if it meant I didn't get any knitting done.

I confess, however, that I purchased the latest Debbie Bliss knitting magazine yesterday on my lunch hour while running an errand at Jo-Ann Fabrics. I got about 5 minutes to look through it, but am still looking forward to a slow peruse (you don't really read knitting or quilting magazines -- it is a very visual experience of color and shape with little text other than the patterns).

No comments: