Monday, October 15, 2012

Birthdays

Today is my 55th birthday.  I suppose it is a momentous number, but somehow it doesn't feel that way.  Just another birthday.   I don't ever say anything at work about my birthday - it prevents having to eat stuff I don't want to eat, so it was a quiet day full of... work (actually, it is fall break and having students away from campus means I actually did get some work done today without any interruption).  My husband took me out for dinner, which was lovely.  The glass of wine has me feeling relaxed and sleepy.  I took us shopping for my gift yesterday - a Wii - and Don set it up for me last night.  I learned this evening how to work it and now have to keep my promise to get up in the morning and do a dance or Wii-Fit workout.

My family did take the time out of what was a busy, stressful weekend to celebrate my birthday yesterday at my sister's house and it was nice to see everyone who was there.  The one thing that would have made it perfect would have been to have my father there, but he was in need of a nap, so we sent him a serving of ice cream afterwards.

I'm very thankful, at 55, to have a loving partner/best friend in my husband, a comfortable home full of lots of great memories, a sizeable yarn and fabric stash, an extended family of siblings who work hard at staying close, two lovable cats, and my health.  I'm a very lucky person.

No comments: