Thursday, March 3, 2011

Self-discipline or Wild Abandon?

Today I'm wearing a handmade sweater that definitely is not the most flattering to my figure, but I always get compliments on the sweater itself, and it is one of my warmest sweaters, so on a day when the temp is in single digits, I'll settle for a sweater that is more attractive than I am :)

Although I didn't work late last night, I did return to choir after taking the month of February off and got home around 9 pm. I did, however, get a few rows of the wedding shawl done before going to bed. I also compared notes on my BFL swatch with my friend who also bought some of the same yarn (hers was navy blue) and we both got gauge for Sprössling on the first try! I often do not get the knitting in my swatch to match what a pattern calls for at first. I usually can get stitch gauge with little problem (that would be the number of stitches over a measurement such as 4" -- think of it as the horizontal gauge) but more often than not do not get row gauge (number of rows over a measurement -- vertical gauge). Row/vertical gauge is fairly easy to adapt on most patterns, but stitch gauge has a everything to do with how big around a sweater ends up being and needs to be accounted for before knitting the sweater.

So, I think I'm going to go ahead and knit Sprössling! Now, should I cast on this weekend or make myself concentrate on the wedding shawl and finishing the sleeves of the Debbie Bliss sweater first? Self-discipline or wild abandon?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Wild abandon! Wild abandon!