Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gadget Gene

My father enjoys asking me about some of my knitting tools and tricks. He was curious about the lifeline I still had in the center panel of the wedding stole when I showed it to him and my mother the other day. In some ways, I think some of my knitting/sewing gadgets are similar to his woodworking tools and gadgets -- we both like to have the right tool for the job, whatever the job may be. I have a cousin who once had a story done about her in her local paper, talking about the many specialty cooking tools and pans she had. I've seen this propensity in many members of my family -- there must be a gadget gene that we all have.

I'm right in there with the Yarn Harlot when it comes to collecting knitting needles. Though my collection doesn't come close to the size of hers, I'm working on it steadily. I'd love to be organized enough to make a note of where certain size needles go when they leave my storage sites -- where the heck are those size 5 Knit Picks Harmony points? If I can find the project they are in, I could cap off the cord and use the tips on the new project I want to start NOW. I'm afraid I'm not as good as my father at taking the time to build the organization system that will work for me -- but I continue to dream I can!

Speaking of the wedding stole:
Without blocking, it is hard to see just how beautiful this is going to be but I think you can see a bit of the sparkle of the beads. You can just barely see that the orange life line my Dad was intrigued by is still there. I realized yesterday that both of the main projects I'm working on are close to the same color -- navy blue and a dark blue/purple. Not great for evening knitting, but somehow I'm coping :)

No comments: