Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Catch as Catch Can

A number of activities have prevented me from blogging this week, but I've been knitting whenever I've gotten a chance. I've gotten through 5 of the 8 1/2 repeats of the main pattern on one end of the wedding shawl. I actually had a couple of evenings when I was able to get through a whole 20-row repeat. On Sunday, during movie time, I finished and bound off the back of Sprössling and started the left front. And, I got a couple of inches done on the Debbie Bliss sweater sleeves.

I also picked up the latest Debbie Bliss magazine and have fallen in love with another sweater, but can't find a photo on line at this moment -- it is a short, fitted cardigan with little inverted vents at the bottom. The pattern also calls for knitting little roses to go over the snaps that go down the front.

My distractions this week have come from both work and family. I spent yesterday with my parents after my mother spent a night in the hospital. She had a 3-day bout of diarrhea and was severely dehydrated by Monday when my dad took her to the doctor, who sent her to the ER. She's much better now and hopefully will be rested and strong enough to get through the next few days when my dad is having a catheter put into his heart to look for blockage points -- a little scary, but not (yet) too big a deal. Siblings are lined up to be with them into next week - I can't imagine being an only child! At work, we have a week when three candidates are on campus to be interviewed for an opening in our office. At a college, you don't just come have an hour interview -- you come for a whole day. It begins with dinner with a couple of members of our staff, and then I start them out on a full day of meetings with students/staff/faculty/staff from other departments by taking them to breakfast in one of the dining halls. That makes for 3 extra early mornings for me. I usually blog over breakfast, hence my neglect this week!

This week's highlight has been our Parlor Maple. Here is what we saw the other day when there were 5 blooms:
And this morning, I came down to see more than a dozen blooms or almost blooms, with more to come! What a lovely taste of spring!

No comments: