Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pulling in for Lent

I recently read an interesting article about going on a financial fast and after sharing the information with Don, we've decided to give it a go for the beginning of Lent. Looking ahead, there are a couple of spending opportunities that will conflict with our goals, so we are going to handle those by setting a spending budget. For example, the annual fiber festival is two weeks away -- I usually go overboard, so am going to set a strict spending limit (including going out to lunch). We're also not beginning this with Ash Wednesday, but waiting until Sunday. This week is school vacation and Don and I plan to take a much-needed couple of fun days at the end of the week, including, possibly, taking our son and a friend out to lunch and buying curtains for Zeben's room which we just painted. Then, we'll buckle down and spend as little as possible.

Because we are really quite frugal to begin with, we're also making a commitment to use up as much of what is overflowing in our cupboards as possible. We'll certainly continue to buy fresh veggies and fruit, but are going to try to use up some of the sauces and canned goods we have way to many of, and to use things in our freezer. I have a habit of trying to take advantage of good sales, but often stick things in the freezer and never get back to them. For example, there's a turkey in there -- the thought occurs to me that it would be a good idea to get that out and thaw it over the week to cook next Sunday. I'm going to do it!!

Of course, the other way to be frugal is to work on unfinished projects instead of purchasing new. I've certainly got plenty of those hanging around.

ON MY NEEDLES
The slouchy cardi is done, all except the hood. I blocked and pieced all of the sweater, and then decided to pick up and knit the hood from the edge of the sweater instead of knitting it separately and then sewing it on. About 9 inches to go!

The neckwarmer from Malabrigo is almost done -- just need to do the grafting.

And, the only other thing on needles right now is a pair of mittens.

I need to get back to my Vivian Hoxbro cardigan, but need some significant time to figure out where the pattern goes from here as her book does not provide a complete graph. The sleeves are done and I'm at the point where I need to cast on for the backs and fronts and move toward the center.

And, I'm getting myself psyched to start Norah's sweater from the Fall IK. Just have to finish that Slouchy Cardi first!

No comments: