Monday, August 29, 2011

Class of 2015 and Other New Beginnings

Everyone who works in education knows that the real "new year" celebration comes at the beginning of the academic year. Growing up in a family where education was the profession, then being a student myself, I found the two years when I wasn't in an education setting to be rather odd in September. I guess that is one reason I was drawn to working with students, just to have the rhythm of the school year as the center of my life. Working for a college and being married to a high school teacher, there's no question it is the "new year" this week.

First-year students arrive at Colby tomorrow morning, with the rest of the student body returning next Tuesday. Both of my sons are beginning their senior year in college -- one tomorrow and the other on Thursday. I'm more excited about the new year than I've been in a couple of years due to my taking the never-before-done step of setting a deadline for pre-med applicants of August 1 to complete their files. It takes the committee about 3 weeks to complete the composite letter for a candidate once their file is complete, so I'm happy to say that we finished virtually all of the nearly 50 letters this year by August 24! I'm starting the academic year able to focus entirely on the start of the academic year and it feels great. I've been heard to say frequently this month, "A deadline is a beautiful thing."

On the topic of new beginnings, my parents were safely ensconced in their new apartment the day before Irene blustered her way through Maine. We fit a lot of stuff in a tiny apartment and they are happy to be there - even my Mom! There's still a lot to do with their house before it can be sold, but progress has been made.

Irene, as I said, blustered through our part of Maine yesterday. I had decided to spend at least part of the day reading (The Help), but ended up spending the entire day reading on the porch. The power went off around 2 in the afternoon, so then I had no choice but to read until it got too dark. Then I did some knitting by candlelight (Almondine socks by Anne Hanson from the new Master Sock Knitting book by Ann Budd in a rust-colored hand-dyed sock yarn from Cherry Hill that I got on the sale shelves at Yard Goods) and we went to bed early. The power came on around 10:30, but by then I was sound asleep. Despite the weather, it was lovely, relaxing way to end the summer. And the fried Spam sandwiches we had for lunch and dinner hit the spot.

So, Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: