Tuesday, September 4, 2007

In a Spin

Yep, it is officially the beginning of the school year. My head is in a whirl and the knitting that would calm and center me just doesn't fit in with the demands of work and family for a few days. Once work gets on an even keel (not just a cliche here -- the office is like a boat that gets upset when too many people step in at once and push off from the dock before everyone is settled into their seats. Several of us come back from having the summer off and all jump in at once and it just feels unsettled for a while).

I did get a chance to do some knitting over Labor Day weekend. I worked quite a bit on my Clapotis Shawl, and probably would have finished it but didn't bring the last skein with me so had to switch to working on my son's socks. We were camping with friends at Cobscook Bay State Park almost as far east as you can go in the U.S. In fact, we spent a day in Eastport, which really is as far east as you can go. We also spent a day on Campobello Island. This weekend or next has been a family tradition with another family for about 13 years. All four children (two sets of twins) are seniors in high school, so next year the parents will have to camp without the kids. This weekend comes at an extremely hectic time, but I'm always so glad we make time for it anyway as it feels like a small oasis in the midst of the beginning of school chaos. It is centering for me the way knitting is.

One night at Cobscook, I got up to go to the loo and stepped out of the tent into a world of light and magic. It was about midnight and the moon was just past being full. The light fell in an intricate pattern on the ground and the trees. As I walked along the camp road, it seemed as if the light radiated from the trees rather than shining on them. The light even created the illusion of diarama-like views into the woods. I felt very fortunate to have the chance to experience it.

ON MY NEEDLES
The Clapotis shawl is nearly finished. I'm kind of wishing I'd done it in another color. I think I've got to make myself choose colors besides purple/lavendar/periwinkle/etc. even though they are my favorite colors. I'd like to do another one and work on it more slowly -- as a secondary or third project rather than as the project I'm working on the hardest.

Zeben's socks are starting to go faster. I just got new #2 needles from Knit Picks, so not having to deal with that awful join is going to make them go even faster. Two more inches on the foot and I'll be at the heel already.

And, I haven't touched the jacket sleeves in over a week. I've really got to get those done before starting any other new projects.

IN THE WINGS
I've got yarn for another Vermont Bag -- a green tweedy wool from Knit Picks. I've also got two new sock yarns and want to try the pattern for semisolid dyed sock wool, even though these are plain colors. The pattern is beautiful and looks like fun anyway.

I got the Knitting Daily post today and was thrilled to see that they had posted the Modern Quilt Wrap pattern! I'm intrigued by several of the patterns in the new Folk Style book, but mostly want to make that wrap as it pulls together my love of quilting and my love of knitting in a highly portable project -- what could be better?

No comments: