Monday, January 30, 2012

A Lovely Day Off

Yes, the skies are low and threatening snow, but it is Monday and I have the day off, so it is very lovely to me. Jan Plan came to a roaring finish last week (though two colleagues have a very big event happening today) and everyone is exhausted and ready for a short break. Classes don't start until Wednesday, so several of us have taken today off for R&R (or, at least, R). Don and I cleaned the house on Saturday evening, so all that is left are things I need to get done by myself, such as the bills :) My select group of readers know, however, that a puttering day at home is the most restful thing I can think of doing.

Knitting has figured interestingly into the weekend. A family at church has two daughters, around 10 and 7, who are interested in learning to knit. The mother doesn't knit (yet) and also wanted to learn. The 11-year old, M, already knows how to knit, but not how to read and follow a pattern, etc. We had our first "lessons" yesterday and I'm happy to report that the two new knitters left with several completed rows of knit stitches and M learned a new cast on and had an introduction to reading a pattern. They've gone off to practice for the week and hopefully we can meet at our LYS next weekend to pick out yarn for a hat for M to knit and something for Mom and S to knit washcloths with. I think I'll also encourage M to look at top-down sweater patterns as I'm sure she'll finish the hat in a flash.

Other than that, I did frog the baby sweater and moved up a couple of needle sizes and started a bigger size of the pattern with the result of a sweater that actually could be worn by a real baby. I was reassured in this action when I found that I had three balls of the main color when I thought I only had two. I think I'll have enough to make a hat to go with it.

I'm also making progress on a birthday or graduation present for my son's girlfriend. I know that the spring and summer are going to be inordinately busy (though there will be travel time that will benefit my knitting) and I don't want to be caught short.

Today, my puttering needs to include cleaning up my desk and fiber room. I actually don't have a sweater on the needles at the moment and am itching to start one, but have been holding myself off until I could get a bit more organized. I have the three projects going, but am very close to finishing two (the baby sweater and the Gaptastic Cowl). I can do a pair of Faux-Felted Mittens to keep myself at bay, but those don't take long. Oh, I do have two pairs of socks I could work on that have been started but put aside. OK, I'll hang on for a bit longer.

Then, on Wednesday, we'll start the spring semester, which promises to be a full, fast ride to May. So, today I'll putter and gather a bit of steam.

No comments: