Thursday, June 2, 2011

Weekend Knitting - not so much

I did do some knitting over the weekend, but didn't make what anyone would call "progress."

I pulled the lace shawl out of time-out that I've had issues with before. It was one of the first lace projects I attempted, so I thought that my greatly advanced skills since then would make it easy to finish. Ha! When you start thinking you have advanced skills, that is a huge caution flag! I managed to make a mess that will require me to tink back (un-knit) at least two very long rows of knitting (hundreds of stitches in each row as I'm in the first third of the last lace section of a round shawl), taking me back to right where I was when I threw it into my bag on Friday. I'm going to do it sooner than later -- I'm tired of feeling defeated by this project and am determined to get it finished this summer. I've been knitting it on a Knit Picks nickel round needles and have decided to try moving it to a Knit Picks wood round needle (my current favorite needles for everything -- flexibility for my hands, color, and nice sharp points -- I have the interchangeable round needles set). I've got a few of the nickel needles but find myself hating to pick those projects up. They are fast, if you want fast, but the tips are more blunt and the needles more slippery than I need for this lace. Stay tuned...

So, I moved to the sock project that is also on nickel needles. These are lace-patterned knee socks from Dream in Color Smooshy. It is a slow project, but I'm getting there. I think I got two repeats of the 8-row lace pattern knitted, which is good progress.

And, I'm working on another baby sweater from the yarn left from the one I just finished. I'll need one more ball to finish the sweater, but that's not bad. I just found out that another colleague's wife is pregnant, due in September, so there will be a home for it soon. But, I got ahead of myself on the second front side and forgot to put in the buttonholes, so just frogged that piece last night and will start it over. It is good mindless knitting, though, and I like having a project going in that category, so I'm not crying over this one. Plus, it is a baby sweater -- so small!

No comments: