Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fiber Frolic Finds

Yesterday was a lovely, even if a bit nippy, day for a frolic! Outside of the sunny places it was a bit chilly and breezy, but that is my best weather, so I was quite happy. Plans to meet with fiber fanatic friends came together at the very last minute on Friday afternoon and stayed "loose." We agreed to start meeting at the main gate at 9 and then every half hour after that so that if anything slowed anyone down in getting there, it wouldn't keep everyone waiting around. Two of us arrived right at 9:30 and then we found a third person already purchasing something in the first building and soon ran into a fourth fanatic. It was a cheery, fibery group!

I am still trying to save money for an iPad and all the necessary accessories, but did spend some of my savings on some gorgeous yarn. First, I was intending to buy some String Theory yarn to make a Bitterroot Shawl. I ended up buying yarn for a sweater instead. One of the sweaters I tried on and loved at the Fit to Flatter workshop was the Isla cardigan (I can't find a picture of it to link to) from an old, unavailable Rowan magazine. I've been thinking about finding/designing a similar very lightweight cardigan ever since. Then, one of my friends mentioned that she'd found the pattern book in her collection! She's halfway through making it herself, out of String Theory Caper Sock Yarn. I opted for the even more lightweight Caper Lace Weight in Rose Collage and it is so soft and beautiful. The colors, as I worked one into a ball last night were just mesmerizing in their changes -- rose is the main color, but there are also shades of purple, green, and aqua in it too! The photo below doesn't do it justice, but it is the three pinks (including one ball):
The little ball in the front was a last -minute splurge. It has metallic yarn mixed with a silk variegated yarn and came with a pattern to make a charming little neck warmer that really looks more like a fancy necklace. I'll probably knit that first as it is easy-peasy and will be great Fiber Frolic instant gratification.

The aqua skein is going to be used for the Bitterroot -- it was a great deal for 1100 yards of fibery loveliness. Again, the photo doesn't do it justice. One of my friends described the colors as "almost alive," and she's right. After leaving the Fiber Frolic I went directly to Beads on the Kennebec in Augusta and picked out the tubes of beads I'll need for the shawl -- there were lots of good choices, which tells you more about how variable the colors are in the yarn. But, before leaving, I took some photos of llamas and alpacas and had a lovely Gyro sandwich and iced tea.
These 4 Alpacas moved as a group and, at times, had their necks almost intertwined. They had just been shorn - you can see the lines on their necks and backs where the clippers were directed.
This little one looked like it was smiling.
I've always loved llamas, but seeing the alpacas first makes these guys look huge! I'd love to have one :)

So, it was a very nice outing. I didn't spend too much money and came home with some things that will give me great pleasure to knit over the next year.

Before I knit anything new, however, I'm planning to block my Sprössling today and get it sewn together before heading off to a conference in Boston. And, I need to finish sewing my Debbie Bliss sweater together. Then, I think I can start something new.

No comments: