Friday, May 20, 2011

Today's View

The view from my dining room window this morning is full of our crab-apple tree in absolute peak bloom.
This tree was planted on Mother's Day when my sons were 9 months old. We love the shade it provides the front of our house all year, the birds it hosts (ooh, there's a pair of bluejays flitting around in the tree right now), and, especially, the few days of blooms each year. We love to go and sit under it while the birds and bees work the blooms over -- they are so busy that they don't even know we're there!

We have a birdhouse made by my father that is currently hosting a chickadee family. I tried to get a picture of them (one seems to really enjoy sitting on the perch on the front of the house) but they aren't available for photographs at the moment.
Even in winter we enjoy this tree (you saw pictures of it measuring our snow pack last winter). One day a flock of cedar waxwings descended upon the tree and cleaned off all of the lingering apples. They were so much fun to watch with their black eye masks and the bright yellow spot on the end of their tail that looks like they dipped it into a can of paint.

We've talked several times about cutting it down, but can't get ourselves to do it. I guess it will stay until someone who doesn't know the joy it has brought us owns the house. In the meantime, I'm hoping the rain clears up enough that I can find time to sit under my Mother's Day tree today or tomorrow.

1 comment:

margmor said...

WHY would you cut it down???