Monday, July 28, 2008

Distractions

I held out until just about the last minute, but ended up signing up for a class at the annual state quilt show. The quilt show has, for many years now, been my own personal mini-vacation. It lasts three days and offers a plethora of opportunities to take classes, attend lectures, view beautiful quilts, and spend money at enticing vendor booths. And, it takes place only 21 miles from my home, so I don't have to go to the expense or bother of staying in a hotel.

In past years, I've gone a bit over the top and taken three day-long classes in three days. Last year I only did two, which gave me a full day of viewing and shopping, and that was really quite nice. When the class list came out in February, I was in the midst of planning the Knitting Boondoggle to Webs in May, and reserving my spending money for yarn, so I didn't sign up for any classes at all. As the show neared, I was trying very hard to imagine only going for one day as a viewer, but took a few minutes to look at the class list site and, of course, found a class with openings that looked like it needed me to take it.

I'm glad I did. It wasn't rocket science, but got me to dig out my sewing room a bit (including starting to organize my yarn stash which was creeping out into the center of the room)and clear off my cutting table. Spending a day sewing bits of fabric together has renewed my interest in returning to a couple of projects I haven't touched since last summer -- such as the Star Quilt for my sister.

So, I can see that I'm going to be distracted from my knitting for a while. But, the knitting can travel with me, and even though I won't be attending as many sports events as an empty-nester, there will still be some since I'm married to a teacher. And, I can knit and watch movies with DH.

Add to this that when I offered to knit something for my mother, she said she'd rather have a quilt! I didn't see that one coming. I was sure the woman who knit many a sweater for many other people would love to have something beautiful knit for her. But, truth be told, I've thought about making a quilt for her for some time, but wasn't sure she'd want one. Now I know. Now it is out in the open and I can have her input on size, color, etc.

Now to work on the problem of finishing projects!

OFF MY NEEDLES
Two Baby Surprise Sweaters are done and buttoned and ready to give as gifts at a family reunion this weekend. Hopefully they'll fit the intended recipients!





ON MY NEEDLES
I've finished the back and am more than half-way up the front of the Poonan Baby Sweater from Berroco, using Berroco's Comfort DK -- the DK weight version of the yarn I used for the Baby Surprise Sweaters. This baby is due in December and since the parents like the color red, and it will be a Christmas month baby, I'm using a lovely dark red color. Hopefully you can see the cable pattern in this photo:



I need to get back to the last section of the Swallowtail Shawl. Those "nupps" involving "knit 5 together" require concentration and being in a particular place. I can only do them on the arm of my knitting love seat (pictured below -- half the couch is mine, half belongs to the cats -- in the winter you'll often find all three of us together here, but not in the heat of summer). Maybe I'll make time for it this week.



I need to frog the Pi Shawl and get it off my needles before it sinks to the very bottom of my knitting project basket. I'll find another project for that yarn sometime, but this isn't it.

And, I'm making another Baby Surprise Sweater, using some red and cream yarn that was in the big yarn purchase my mother-in-law and I made. There's some pink too, so I'll try to spread the cream out between two sweaters and then I'll have a couple of baby sweaters "in reserve." It is such a great project to take along as it is just garter stitch, requiring only a bit of attention every other row to add or decrease a couple of stitches.

WHAT I'M READING
Not much, really. Except I'm still working my way through Eat, Pray, Love on tape. I didn't really like this book until I got at least half-way through it. Now I'm liking it enough to want to finish it. I've got an Amelia Peabody mystery waiting in the wings and am now thinking that it might be good to save for the drive to PA we'll be taking to drop Zeben off at college (13 hours drive each direction).

No comments: