Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Damp Season

I'm borrowing a phrase from our Bishop who is retiring in another month. In the spring I, along with many other members of our parish choir, sang at an Evensong that began Bishop Chilton's retirement activities. In her remarks, she described it as the beginning of her "damp season."

Last May/June was an exceedingly damp season for me. All of the whirlwind of my twin sons' graduation activities was punctuated by tearful moments --some of which caught me by surprise. Tears would just sneak up on me at odd moments. Of course, it didn't help that I was quite exhausted from the academic year which was full of uncertainties and ups and downs that took a lot of energy. But, I'm not much of a cryer and not given to dramatics so I appreciated Bishop Chilton's description.

I'm heading into another damp season. I've been caught tearing up a couple of times and had an out and out sob or two this morning when I pulled the "Back to School" circular out of the newspaper. I realized this morning that I'm no longer a "mommy." Not that I've really been mommy for a long time -- my sons are, after all, 19 years old and have been taller than me for several years now. I guess I just hadn't thought about it that way.

I still, however, fill the mommy role when needed. When one son was having a damp night, parting ways with one of his best friends who is going to college in Oklahoma and won't be home until Christmas, I found myself administering hugs, going out for ice cream, and making to-do/to-buy lists with him even though what I really wanted to do was go to bed. Every mommy knows that after dark is when the emotions come out with teenagers!

We head for western Pennsylvania next Thursday with Zeben. We'll visit with friends along the way, which we're all looking forward to. I'm sure the trip home will be exceedingly damp -- Don will have to drive the first leg. But, to make the whole thing better, I'm planning a side trip to Northampton, MA to have lunch and stop in at Webs (though I haven't mentioned this to husband or son yet). Maybe we can stop there both on the way out and on the way home! I'm also starting my packing list and heading it up is my knitting. I'll need a project I don't have to give a lot of thought to as well as a project that will focus my attention. Not a problem -- I've got plenty to choose from!

My other son's drop off to college comes a week later and is just a couple of hours away. He's rooming with a friend from home, so there isn't the anxiety of trying to get there first to choose the best bunk (as they always wanted to do when going to camp). I'm already scoping out yarn stores in the UNH area, though.

ON MY NEEDLES
I started to frog the Pi Shawl, but realized that I had a safety line in place between the section I was having trouble with and the previous section. So, instead of frogging completely, I went back to the safety line and have started the problem section over. I'm just going to take my time and not try to rush the section as I had been doing. Each row has 574 stitches and 41 repeats of the 14-stitch pattern. I am trying to get 1/3 or 1/2 a row done each day, at which rate it will take a minimum of 72 days to get through. This, however, will be a good car project when I need to have something to pay attention to. It isn't a very appealing project on the needles -- like all lace knitting, it is bumpy and lumpy and hard to imagine as a lovely, lacy garment.



I re-started the Braids Cardigan, deciding to make the longer version instead of the shorter version. This is a project which doesn't take a lot of attention all of the time. I'll need to pay attention briefly when I reach the armholes and when I do the neck and button bands or pick up the stitches for the sleeves. But, the knitting is very straightforward.

I've got a pair of socks going -- the Uptown Boot Socks from the Favorite Socks collection. I'm using a Regia self-striping yarn in pink, fuschia, orange, red, and grey. Sounds garish, but actually is quite nice. I think I like the fact that I started the top with the fuschia. Starting it with the red would have given it a whole different feel.



The front and back of the Poonan Baby Sweater is done and I've started on the first sleeve. You pick up the stitches from the body and knit to the wrist, so when the sleeves are done, all that will be left is to sew the side seams. I spent some time this morning weaving in ends so that I don't have to deal with them when I finish the sleeves. The pattern has a few oddities I don't love, so I have a feeling I won't make this one again, but it will certainly make a good baby gift.



And, I'm still working slowly on my yoga mat bag. I may take that one our trip too. I'd love to have it done for the beginning of yoga classes on campus after Labor Day.

OFF MY NEEDLES
I've finished and blocked the Swallowtail Shawl. The points didn't come out on the edges, though. Either I bound off too tightly or I didn't pull on it enough when blocking. A friend blocked hers (same yarn, different color) and the points were great. I may have to re-block it, though it is quite pretty as is.


WHAT I'M READING
I succumbed to temptation and bought several books through the Interweave Hurt Books Sale. They are all in wonderful shape, so I'm not sure how they came to be in the sale. I'm intrigued by Vivian Hoxbro's Shadow Knitting. I've been working my way slowly through In Sheep's Clothing: A Handspinner's Guide to Wool which describes the qualities of wool by sheep breed. I'll feel ever so much more knowledgeable when I go to the Common Ground Fair this fall! I haven't yet looked closely at the Twisted Sisters Knit Sweaters book and the other two books I got were reference books on finishing techniques and crochet (not being much of a crocheter, I always have to relearn it when I need it). Too bad I can't read in the car -- I'll just have to knit!

PODCAST UPDATE
I've found a couple of new podcasts to listen to. The latest is Pointy Sticks. As usual, I'm starting from the beginning and am only up to #5, which is from April of 2006, I believe. She has the best music I've heard on any knitting podcast, including one song in the first show about Ikea, which I can't wait to play for my sisters!

1 comment:

Esther Paris said...

My hurt books don't look mortally wounded, either. Certainly no more than the regular flesh wounds a book gets by being perused lovingly in a brick-n-mortar book store. However, some of the 'hurt' books I got were first printing, complete with first printing-type errors.