Friday, January 17, 2014

Togetherness

I'm on a diet.  Usually it is a lonely task, and although my husband has always been supportive when I undertake to lose a little weight, he gets a little grumpy about how my changes in food choices make his diet bland or even "bo-o-o-o-o-rrrring."

This time, though, we're in it together.  We're taking a Preventing Diabetes class through the local hospital which I learned about at the wellness fair at work.  I'm at very high risk of ending up with Type 2 Diabetes due to having both parents with diabetes, having had a pregnancy with over 13 lbs. of baby (even though it was two babies), having had to control my sugar levels with diet throughout my pregnancy, my age, and being a woman.  Ugh.

The up-side of this is that the class is free, and I get to bring Don along as a support participant even though he is barely at risk despite having a father who is diabetic.  And, God bless him, he's jumping in with both feet.  We've been talking every night about how our eating day went, trading numbers and helping each other sort out fat gram and calorie counts (sometimes involving complex math!) as we track our eating habits, now in our second week.

This is a whole different experience than anything else I've tried (Weight Watchers several times and lots of self-imposed attempts) and I know the difference is having Don so closely involved.  I'm feeling confident that I'll have success this time in getting my weight down below the "overweight" line on the charts and finding a way to keep it there.  I'm fortunate that losing only 12 lbs is my first goal - there are others who are needing to lose 30+ pounds, including one woman who has already lost 60! 

Togetherness -- thanks, sweetie, for really, truly being there for me in all the meanings of that phrase!  Wish us luck!
Speaking of togetherness, here are the girls, sharing the electric cat seat I got to help keep the older one, who is ill, warm.

No comments: