Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Indian Summer

Last week the weather was hot -- unusually so for fall. Not as hot as it sometimes gets in the summer, but hot nonetheless. This was a challenge for me. I have July and August off from work (ah, the joys of a 10-month contract!) and therefore don't really have any summer work clothing. Even if I did work those months, I'd probably be wearing shorts anyway. So, I perspired my way through the week. Not exactly conducive to knitting, either.

But, the fall weather has returned and thoughts turn to holiday gifts and knitting. I've made quite a bit of progress on my jacket sleeves -- all that is left is the caps. As someone who sewed a lot of my own clothes in my younger years, I'm fascinated by many of Jean Frost's jacket patterns. They are definitely knit, but the more tailored shape means that the pieces look as if they were cut out of a sewing pattern. I'm not in love with the jacket I'm making, but had the right yarn for the pattern and am sure it will be a versatile wardrobe addition (lt. gray, cardigan). When I finish the sleeves I'll just have the collar and button bands to do. Then my plan is to actually follow the instructions on blocking. I usually ignore the need to block and end up being somewhat dismayed by the outcome of my hard work, but this time I want to do it right.

My other knitting progress has nothing to do with any of my current projects. A year or more ago, I had conversations with two different colleagues at work about the idea of starting a knitting group on campus. I'm finally following through on that idea and put an invitation out yesterday on the General Digest. In two weeks, I'm sponsoring a knitting lunch. It isn't a class, though I've invited beginners to come if they'd like. Rather, I'm hoping just to bring knitters of all levels together to share projects, solve challenges, and enjoy each other's company. I've had four people say they plan to come -- one saying that she hoped it would help her work on a sweater she wants to do but fears she may find too challenging -- exactly the kind of thing I was hoping would attract people!

I've offered to bring information to the first meeting about the knitting community on the internet -- videos, podcasts, blogs, etc. I don't know whether I'll mention this particular blog to them, but I may hint about its existence. With any luck, this will be a regular monthly meeting at lunch time on campus. Maybe I'll offer to replicate it for students in the spring.

I've also volunteered to teach a knitting Inspirations Course during Jan Plan. I've done it in the past a couple of times, but haven't been available to do it the past two years. I don't know if they already have someone else lined up, but I put in my offer. I am still in touch with a couple of students I met in one class nearly 6 years ago -- a side benefit of teaching.

ON MY NEEDLES
Besides the Jean Frost jacket, I've put some time in lately on the feather and fan scarf. It isn't hard and is growing steadily. I find, though, that I have to do the complete 4-row pattern every time I pick it up or I wouldn't know where to start the next time.

I haven't touched Zeben's socks. I'm just about to the heel, so will need some time to pay attention to what I'm doing. I'm taking a long weekend to celebrate my birthday this weekend, so maybe that will yield some quiet time.

I'm still really itching to do a lace shawl, so may have to take my blog commenter (my sister) up on her offer to pick one out for me to do!

WHAT I'M READING
My new Interweave Knits arrived. I used to subscribe to it for my mother and then she would pass the copies along to me. She's stopped knitting so I stopped subscribing. I'd buy it once in a while in a bookstore. This summer, though, I signed up for Interweave's Knitting Daily e-mail newsletter and at the same time subscribed to the magazine. It is well worth the investment. I'll give you a rundown of my magazine subscription list in another post -- I'm a magazine addict.

I also picked up the 25th anniversary copy of Vogue Knitting. What a tome! I'm working my way through the articles at the moment. I just finished the interviews of the "old guard" of knitting and am about to start reading the interviews of the "new guard," including the author of Knitter's Review who lives right here in Maine! Vogue patterns are often just a little too, well, stylish, for me, but I'm definitely enjoying this edition.

No comments: