Monday, August 23, 2010

Top Ten Technology Faves

In some ways I have definite Luddite tendencies. Switching to new e-mail and calendar software at work this summer was a setback I am still recovering from, two months later. When I hear that I'm up for a computer upgrade at work, I inwardly groan. Luckily, at work, I have lots of support and know the tech support staff by first name.

But, I do recognize that there are technology products that absolutely make my life much better. Here's my top ten:

1. Electric mattress pad warmer. I have a distinct tendency for night chills and this has made all the difference. We like sleeping under a down comforter, so using an electric blanket wasn't an option. I especially like that our queen sized one has separate controls for each side of the bed so I can be toasty without overheating my DH.

2. Electric tea kettle. These had just gotten popular in Scotland when I was living there in the early 80's, but didn't really show up here until not too many years ago. I think we've had ours for about 5 years. This one was such a hit with my family that both sons had it near the top of their list of must-haves when they went off to college. Some people have talked about using them to make macaroni and cheese, but we wouldn't dream of doing that -- it would make our tea taste funny!

3. Cars that automatically turn off your headlights when you turn off the car. At this point, it could be a dealmaker for me when buying a car because our Toyotas and VW Golf have this feature so I'd be hopeless about remembering to do it myself.

4. EZ Pass. Although I liked the early version, Transpass, better because you could push a button on top and see how much money you had left on it, the EZ Pass is a must-have. Not only is it nice when going places in Maine, it makes travel in other states even easier -- very short waits, if any, at toll booths in NH, MA, and PA on recent trips.

5. iPods. I don't even have the new iPod Touch, but still love my mp3 player. I'm particularly enamored with podcasts and audiobooks.

6. Cell phones with QWERTY (that is so much fun to type) keyboards. A very bright young woman told a group of parents at UNH Orientation that we must, must, must have unlimited texting on our phone plans if we were sending a son or daughter off to college. She was absolutely right. But, it is the QWERTY keyboard that makes it possible for me to use it.

7. eCards. I've got a subscription to an eCard site offered by a lovely artist, Jacquie Lawson. It makes it much easier to send someone a card at the last minute (not that I always remember to do it even though it is easy to do).

8. On-line banking. I've not converted to on-line bill paying yet, but do appreciate being able to monitor our bank accounts in real time instead of waiting for the monthly statement. I was never good at using those statements to update my register (I remember a couple of years when I would take a whole day to do a whole year at a time) but am now able to do it at least weekly. It also makes it much more convenient to set up fund transfers for our sons at college -- weekly food allowances are key.

9. Social networks for knitters. Ravelry, for example. Although they can become a black hole of browsing and take way too much time, they also can be incredibly handy when contemplating a new pattern or deciding whether the yarn you already have can work in the pattern you are considering. The knitting world online is wonderfully accessible and generous. While I'm also a quilter and basket weaver, I haven't found a home in those online worlds the way I have in knitting. And I'm not even as engaged as some people I know!

10. Windows that fold in so you can wash the outside from inside the house. Yes, this last one returns me to the Luddite category because you're probably not really thinking it is "technology" as many would define it. But, it is something that makes my life much sunnier and my vision much clearer on a daily basis. It is well worth the extra money we've spent on replacing our old, rattling, weight-balanced (old window technology) double-hung windows.

ON MY NEEDLES
Speaking of needles, I could add #11: bamboo and wooden knitting needles. I grew up using aluminum and plastic needles -- either too inflexible or too flexible. Bamboo and wooden needles are the easiest on my hands and wrists, making it possible to knit more and longer when I get the chance.

TECHNOLOGY I'M CONSIDERING
I'm very intrigued by the eReaders -- especially since reading about a movement to create borrowing libraries for eBooks (check out WorldLibrary). I'm trained as a librarian and can't be parted from my extensive, and growing, collection of physical books, but still am interested in seeing whether an eReader might fit into my life. But, I'll probably stick to my non-early adopter status and wait a while to see where they go.

No comments: