Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer!

I am incredibly fortunate to be able to reduce my work schedule to half-time in the summer. I used to have two months off completely, and miss that, but actually like the reduced schedule better as the shock of going back in September isn't so ... shocking. Either way, I LOVE having the time -- the trade-off in pay is so worth it to me.

This doesn't sound exciting, but the time allows me to get things done that I've been putting off for months -- like calling to see about getting the number display panel on the microwave fixed, getting our new-last-fall fence straightened up, cleaning out the linen closet (which I did last summer and is actually in pretty good shape a year later -- the blessings of an empty nest), and taking the cats to the vet for their annual check up.

More exciting is the chance to visit with friends and relatives. I had dinner with a friend last night who is doing an internship of sorts in Portland. We had a relaxed saunter through the Old Port, a two-hour dinner and conversation in a quiet restaurant, and an ice cream dessert. It was lovely. Next week I hope I'll be able to take my bike down for a ride with my sister. You get the idea -- slow, relaxed, and not dictated by the 8-5 schedule.

Even the steamy hot weather hasn't got me down the way it often does. We've got an air conditioner in the sewing room/our bedroom so I have a retreat where there is plenty to do, and we can sleep in reasonable comfort. Again, I'm so fortunate.

Don says I have good karma. I prefer to call it an abundance of blessings. Whatever you call it, I'm basking in it for now.

ON MY NEEDLES
Same as last time -- it has been too hot and sticky to knit. Instead, I'm working on finishing one quilt for one of my sisters. I cut out the binding pieces yesterday and hope to make headway this afternoon when it is too hot to be anywhere else in the house. I'm also working on a pinwheel quilt for my Mom in various pastel florals on a white background. It is coming along quite nicely. I'll upload pictures later -- now it is time for lunch!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I had somehow lost the link to your blog when my computer crashed last fall. I've spend the morning getting caught up! Now I have bookmarked your blog and I am looking forward to your next entry!