Friday, April 18, 2008

Seduced

Color is my downfall. Yes, I love the feel of fiber, love the design of pattern created by knitting, etc. But it is color that makes me swoon. Sometimes I go to the yarn or fabric store just for a color infusion and don't even buy anything -- especially in the winter or when I'm feeling down.

I was seduced once again yesterday by color. This time it is in the form of fabric. A colleague of mine makes quilts with big pieces, big, wild prints, and does them entirely by hand -- the piecing and the quilting. I haven't "loved" all of her work, but am mightily impressed by it. Yesterday, she was showing another colleague and I some fabric she'd ordered for a couple of projects. The fabric came in "packs" of fabric cut for a specific quilt in a Kaffe Fassett book. One of the packs she received was not the one she ordered. I fell head over heals in love with the fabric and ended up buying it so she wouldn't need to ship it back to the sender.

This fabric is a real departure from my usual fabric choices. The prints are big. Some are kind of wild and abstract. Some are large florals. I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to quilting. But, oh, the colors! It will be spectacular.

Now, all I need is time! But, I'm definitely feeling the quilting itch after a winter dedicated to knitting.

Ah, fickle love.

No comments: